Monday, February 21, 2011

All I want is a room somewhere...with amazing wallpaper.

Last night My Fair Lady was on TV. I love that musical (who doesn't?). I haven't watched it since I got into this whole "decorating a house" thing. It turns out whoever designed the set for My Fair Lady (George James Hopkins) had a thing for awesome wallpaper. (Click to see these larger)

Professor Higgins' House


Professor Higgins' House
Whoa...I'm in love. 

Mother Higgins' House
Wait, no NOW I'm in LOVE.

I'm still working on the office, but the upstairs bathroom is up next, and I'm thinking wallpaper, thanks to this movie. Something BOLD, maybe on just one wall, or two. Wallpaper is a challenge for Adam and I to agree on, but I think we can make it work. I was thinking wainscoting, but Adam seems to have a visceral hatred of wainscoting (I don't know why...) Perhaps we can talk about board and batten. 

P.S. George James Hopkins also did the set decorating for Auntie Mame, Hello Dolly, and A Star is Born. If ever I wanted to see the inside of someone's house, it's this guy.

P.P.S I know, I know. No office updates for too long. The room is painted, the table is in, curtains and new blinds are hung, some shelves are up and one piece of art is on the wall. Still to do is add shelves to the alcove, hang some more art, find a throw blanket, work on my computer and possibly store it, figure out some kind of cord management solution, cover the chairs and replace the railing.

I haven't updated with pictures because while many things have been accomplished, the room is a mess and I'm not going to show you pictures of a messy room. Sorry. Your day will come, I promise.

2 comments:

  1. I SO agree with you about this house. I've been searching the internet trying to find out more information about this house. I wonder if it really was or is in London. It's more than just a set. The wallpaper is/was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the house too! I am looking at building a scale model of it and debating what to do about the interiors. The library and entranceway are a sure bet!

    ReplyDelete