Sunday, April 25, 2010

Stay the night, I'll make pancakes in the morning.

Guest room update!

The end is nigh on the guest room. I'm hoping. It seems like every time I think I'm almost done with this room, something else pops up.

Anyway, the bed is finished. So now we could actually let people sleep in the room, which is kind of the point, right? We started with an iron bed frame that was free from my Mom. She had all antique iron beds in her house, we all had one (me, my parents, my brothers) and Mom always said we'd each get to take one when we moved out. This was not the bed I slept in, this was my brother, Josh's bed.

Lets see the before.

Red, with brass detail. I could have kept it this color, but I decided white was just prettier. So, with a trusty can of Krylon Spray Paint in Almond, away we go! That's why this photo was out on the lawn, up on bricks with newspaper over them. No spray painting inside! First I had to tape, because my Mom asked that I not paint the brass. 

Then, cover all the brass with plastic, and tape it in place, so it didn't catch any drifting over-spray in the breeze. I just used an old  plastic drop cloth from the dollar store that I had around. It was more than enough to cover both ends of the brass.


Then, many coats of spray paint. It took about 3 and a half cans (which I know, because after can number 2, I had to go to Lowe's and get more...). It's always better, with spray paint, to use many thin coats rather than a few thick ones. Helps avoid drippage.


Huzzah! All that was left was to disassemble, carry inside, reassemble, add a mattress and dress! Here's the bed now.


I'm glad I kept the brass.


I started this red & aqua color scheme because I had this red comforter, as well as a bunch of red linens from when our bedroom was red and gold. So, they're all kind old. But if your curious...

Red quilt - Target - birthday gift from a friend
Red pillow shams - Ikea, part of a duvet set.
Red throw pillow - Tuesday morning
Aqua flannel sheets - Ollie's Bargain Outlet, $20
Aqua throw pillows - Big Lots, $8 each over a year ago, used to be on our couch

The dust ruffle is another story. Because of the height of this bed, finding dust ruffles is always hard. It requires an 18" drop (or as my Mom says, "18 inch flounce") which can be a little difficult to find. My Mother always had a king size dust ruffle UNDER a regular full size to make it work without having to buy "special" sizes. So I actually sewed this dust ruffle using 2 twin size bed sheets from Target ($8 each). I would have made a tutorial, but to be honest with you, it was not easy and I was kind of figuring it out as I went along...and I definitely messed up in places. If you have rudimentary sewing skills you could probably figure it out on your own. If you don't have such skills, I would recommend buying a dust ruffle, not making one.

Did you notice the lovely art piece above the bed?

Mourning Walk by Katherine Fahey

It was a gift from my sister-in-law, Christy. She bought it at a local craft show put on by the Charm City Craft Mafia. Their shows are the best. Katherine Fahey is a local artist, in Baltimore. It's always nice to buy from locals. Thanks Christy!

Also accomplished this week in the guest room: dresser! This is another hand-me-down from my parents, to my brother, and then to me.


This was my Dad's dresser. Then my brother and his wife took it for...something. They never said what. But their plans for it are another 4 years off, apparently (I'm thinking it had something to do with a 2nd child?). So, it's taking up residency at our house until they want it back. This is a system my family has developed called "permanent loan".

I was considering refinishing it in a darker color (cherry-ish?) but now that it's in the room, I kind of like it. What do you think? Keep it as is or refinish? I'm torn.

Oh, and look at my adorable tray on top.


I got the metal tray at an estate sale for $10, it was black with flowers painted in the bottom. I sprayed it white and covered the inside with some scrap booking paper sealed with Modge Podge...adorable much? And the bird bowl? That's my little souvenir from the Johnathan Adler store in Boston. She arrived safely and with a lovely little note from whichever employee shipped her.  I'm only slightly in love with her.

So, what's left? I know I do this every time, but I like lists.

1. Frame and hang pictures
2. Make and hang towel hooks
3. Hang and accesorize shelves
4. Recover rocking chair seat
5. Find a throw rug, the floor needs something
6. Make some valances or cornices for the windows
7. Add ribbon detail to roman shades
8. Add ribbon detail to towels

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love it!!!! I think the stain on the dresser is just fine! Can't wait to see the finished rocker!

    ReplyDelete