Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow Day

Like I said yesterday, I love snow. I know not everyone does, but I do. Even when we had over 2 feet of the white & fluffy on the ground last year, I didn't care. I love snow. Maybe it's because school has been my full time job for as long as I can remember, whether I'm a teacher or a student, so snow means sleeping in or a day spent snuggled up on the couch with a hot drink (hot chocolate when I was little, tea in high school, now coffee) watching the flakes quietly fall to the ground.

I think I also like how quiet everything gets when it snows. Everything slows down. And what I've always found funny is that snow is that we always end up talking to our neighbors when it snows, because we're all out there shoveling and you wave, say hello, talk about the snow and how it's changed our plans for the day.

But possibly one of my favorite things about snow is how pretty it makes everything. All covered in crisp, clean white. All the leafless trees and gray landscape of winter in Maryland is covered up and it's just so nice to look at. At least for the first few days, eventually the salt and plows and traffic and shoveling kick up the dirt onto the snow, and it melts in patches, and it's not so nice.

It snowed here last night. And we got just enough to cover everything, but not enough that it's a pain to shovel or terribly inconvenient. The plows kept up with it (even ahead of it) so the roads are clear. Perfect snow? I think a about 3 more inches would have been even better, but then, I love snow. While everything was nice and clean this morning, I just had to go out and take some pictures of the house covered in snow.


I look at this picture and think about painting the outside of the house. Eventually, we'll do it. I needs it, the shutters are all bleached out and it's overall painfully bland.


One of my favorite things about our house in the snow is our evergreen trees in the front yard.


They are beautiful when covered in snow. Sadly, it never lasts long on them, the wind blows the snow off and the branches bend and it just falls off. They had more than this on them this morning, but I'm glad I got in a picture before it was all gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment