Sunday, December 20, 2009

It's up to your knees out there.

Unless you've been living under a rock, you know that it snowed like crazy on the east coast this weekend. Our town got somewhere between 21 and 23 inches of snow (numbers are a little mixed on the news).

I think the weather gods know that we have purchased our first house and are throwing all they have at us because they want to test our abilities to handle this stuff. It's been raining like the dickens all summer/fall and now we get a blizzard.

No worries though, because we're handling it fine! Thanks to Adam's broken ankle we've been borrowing my Mom's Jeep for the past couple of weeks (its an automatic, he can't drive his manual with the bum leg) so we have 4 wheel drive! I ventured to the grocery store last night for cat food, because I love the cats just that much. Don't worry, my parents aren't trapped with no car. Their new truck has 4 wheel drive, too. Apparently my Dad spent much of yesterday pulling drivers stuck in the snow outside his house using his truck.

Before venturing out, shoveled the driveway and sidewalks 3 times throughout the day. I figured it was better to shovel 8 inches a few times than 23 inches once. My neck is paying the price though.

Let's be realistic here, you don't read my blog to READ my blog, you want pictures.



I love who the snow makes everything look so clean and white.




The dryer vent created a tunnel under the snow. I got a lot of laundry done yesterday. Something like 6 loads, including our big comforter, which is always a pain to wash.



The giant evergreens in the front yard looked gorgeous covered in snow. With the sun and the wind they're starting to clear off now.



The street in front of our house. It was plowed once yesterday afternoon, but it continued to snow after that so it's still pretty treacherous, but no fear when we have the Jeep!  



The back yard. I put the photo from the sales listing there for comparison. Note how the snow is deep enough to cover the terracing completely in the middle. 

Last, but not least, this is how Adam spent the snow day...
                                     

That's right. While I was outside shoveling, he as on the (new) couch, atop a mound of pillows, under our afghan (a lovely, comfy and warm wedding present from my aunt, that I never get to use because SOMEONE hogs it) Note the X-Box controller on the coffee table. That's probably one of only a handful of times it was actually set down yesterday.



1 comment:

  1. lol how convenient that he injures himself a couple weeks before the craziness hit. jk hope the healing is going well :)

    the snow is pretty, but i'm not looking forward to the thaw. slabs of ice will be everywhere

    ReplyDelete