Monday, May 24, 2010

Rock and Roll

The rocking chair make-over is officially finished. Let's reminisce about its past. Here is the chair when I received it, for free, from my aunt.

This is, admittedly, after I did a little sanding on it, because I get about 10 minutes into any project and remember, "oh right, blog". The seat cushion was cross stitched by my Great Aunt Bet. 


After gently removing the cushion and giving the whole chair a light sanding, it was time to prime.

I pretty much always give everything two coats of primer before I paint. 2-3 coats of paint and some aqua pillow ticking stripe fabric later, I had a lovely new chair! Man oh man do I dislike painting spindles, though. It was touch up city fixing up the spots I missed.

The color is Behr's Spring Stream from their Premium Plus Ultra line, which is paint and primer in one; but I had it color matched and mixed in Glidden because it was cheaper and I didn't need the paint & primer.

Here's a close-up of the seat.

And for effect, let's do a quick side-by-side of the before and after. You can really see the difference this way.


The red rosette pillow is O-L-D, left over from when I redid my bedroom in my parent's house freshman year of college, nearly 8 years ago. I believe its from the now closed Value City (which is where half my life was from before they went out of business).

Tomorrow I hope to be showing off the cornices and giving you a little step by step on how to make them (they're super easy and require zero sewing).

And Aunty Kathy, if you're reading this, I hope you like the chair! Thanks so much for giving it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment